ReviewsNo reviews yet
Boruca Indigenous Tribe Cultural Immersion
Experience cultural immersion in Costa Rica’s South Pacific and visit the indigenous Boruca tribe. One of their claims to fame is the vibrant and colorful hand painted masks they create, depicting legends, stories and nature themes that shape their identity and daily lives. The tour begins with a visit to their workshop, following each of the mask-making steps, from wood working to painting. You will each receive your own mask to adorn with the guidance of a master painter. It is a demonstrative and participative experience, including a textile workshop as well.
What follows is a guided tour of their community’s museum and town, where among their stories you will learn how they bravely defeated the Spanish in the times of the Conquest, preserving their identity. The experience concludes with a typical lunch made with locally harvested ingredients, during which you will be entertained with the narration of one of the Boruca legends. This is the ideal cultural and educational experience for a family or small group of friends, and an opportunity to shop for unique handcrafted gifts as well.
- TBD – Private Tour, please contact us to schedule
- Private tour available upon request for small groups
- Minimum 3-day booking window required for tribe to prepare for your visit
- Cultural heritage
- Ancient handicrafts.
- Specialized bilingual guide
Prepare for the activity
What to Bring
- Suntan lotion
- Mosquito repellent
- All areas that customers touch are frequently cleaned
- Customers must keep distance in vehicles
- The number of visitors is limited to reduce crowds